The curriculum comprises all opportunities for learning provided by the school. It includes all lessons, extra-curricular activities and out of school activities. It also embraces the ethos of the school, the attitudes, behaviours and relationships, and the general quality of life of the whole school community.
The school aims to offer pupils - regardless of age, ability, gender, ethnicity or religion - a broad and balanced curriculum that encompasses both the legal requirements of the National curriculum and a range of enrichment activities within an inclusive environment. The curriculum at Cherry Fold Community Primary School comprises of a curriculum for the Nursery and Reception classes and a curriculum for children in Years 1 to 6.
The Early Years Foundation Stage
The early years foundation stage (EYFS) sets standards for the learning, development and care of your child from birth to 5 years old. and is split into seven areas of learning. The first three are the Prime Areas as skills in these aspects underpin all other learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (Self-care, Self-regulation, Building Relationships)
- Communication and Language (Listening, Attention and Understanding; Speaking)
- Physical Development (Gross Motor Skills, Fine Motor Skills)
- Literacy (Comprehension, Word Reading, Writing)
- Mathematics (Numbers, Numerical Patterns)
- Understanding the World (People, Culture and Communities, The Natural World, Past and Present)
- Expressive Arts and Design (Creating with Materials; Being Imaginative and Expressive).
Exciting first-hand experiences, both child-initiated and adult-led, enable the children to develop knowledge, understanding and key skills in all areas of learning which provide a sound basis for later education.
Our reading books are closely matched to the phonics scheme we use a range of publishers: Oxford, Collins and Pearsons.
We follow Red Rose Letters and Sounds to support our teaching of phonics.
LetterJoin handwriting scheme is used throughout the school.
Red Rose Mastery is the scheme we follow for our mathematics curriculum and promotes the teaching of maths mastery from EYFS to Year 6.
If you have any questions regarding the curriculum we teach please contact the school directly.